Effective Outdoor Play: Raising Attainment Using the Outdoors
Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 9:30am to 3:30pm
Book via Booking Form
About this event
This interactive day course provides a balance of theory, discussion and practical activities to explore the benefits of engaging children in learning outdoors. It will look at how to motivate staff teams to go outside whatever the weather! Time will be spent playing outdoors in the afternoon, exploring the learning potential of different open ended and natural resources. Practice will be underpinned by the characteristics of effective learning. Do come dressed appropriately to be outdoors!
Delegates will have the opportunity to:
• Discuss the visions and values of outdoor learning and discuss how to overcome the barriers that can prevent us from going outside;
• Look at developing naturalistic outdoor environments on a low or non-existent budget;
• Explore the play affordance of nature;
• Generate practical and stimulating ideas to engage children that links to the areas of learning;
• Look at providing learning experiences that will offer challenge – reflect on the use of benefit/risk assessments;
• Discuss the adults’ role outdoors.
Trainer(s): Jo Gordon
Jo Gordon has taught in both primary and infant schools where she has been responsible for the management and development of early years including a workplace day nursery for children aged six months to five years. She now works as an Early Years Consultant for several London authorities where she supports and advises settings on best practice. She delivers training on all aspects of the Early Years Foundation Stage with a particular passion for the outdoors. She co-leads Lambeth’s Natural Thinkers Outdoor Project and works part-time for Lambeth Early Action Partnership (LEAP) working on developing and implementing strategies to enhance and develop communication and language for children 0-4 years. Jo is also an associate trainer for Mindstretchers, a dynamic company dedicated to providing children with multi-sensory and real-world educational environments through training and consultancy, educational products and Nature Kindergartens.